Saturday, June 9

A visit to the Princess Diana exhibit!


A week ago Friday, my daughter, Collette and I enjoyed a day out to celebrate our birthdays. I treated her to a visit to the Princess Diana exhibit that was at the Mall of America. Collette loved Princess Diana when she was a young girl and still does. I remember getting up early to watch her wedding on TV. She was away at Girl Scout camp and missed it (I don't think we had a VCR at that time). Collette happened to be here visiting when news came on the TV that Diana had been hurt in a car accident. It was then, and still is, hard to imagine someone so young and vibrant is gone.
The exhibit of Diana's personal items is done so well. It starts with her family and childhood and progresses through her engagement, her wedding, her clothing, and how her charity work continues. There are film clips that show Diana as a young child. Fascinating and makes me wish we had movies of our family when we were young kids. We loved seeing her wedding gown and walked around the dress (displayed in a climate controlled case) more than once to see all the detail of the lace and stitching. Also on display, were 26 of the gowns and outfits that she wore for various state and charitable events. Some were very recognizable. They were beautiful in their design and the fabrics and the details! We each had a favorite suit and gown. Collette bought the book on the exhibit and I bought a set of postcards. Photos were not allowed except at the gift shop where you could take the photo above. We spent almost two hours in the exhibit and thoroughly enjoyed it. I would go again! However, it all ends here in Minnesota this Sunday and the collection will return to Althorpe, her home in England. It returns to the U.S. for exhibit (go here ) and will open in Louisville, Kentucky in September. It is well worth seeing!
It has been a very busy, very hectic week here at the Andersen Haus. :-)  I barely got any stitching done although I had big plans. Sometimes plans don't go like you think they will. However, new kitchen curtains are finally in progress so maybe next week, I'll have something fun to share!
Have a good weekend!
Sandi

7 comments:

Judy1522 said...

I would love to see that exhibit about Princess Diana. We also got up early to see her wedding and I would love to get a good look at her wedding dress. I have a book about the making of the dress and there was so much detail put into it that you can't see in pictures. People now talk about what a horrid dress it was but for the time and place I always thought it was perfect. I look at the pictures of her from that time and realize how incredibly young and beautiful she was.

Marie said...

We went a month ago ... it was a great exhibit and 2 hours seemed to fly by didn't they. I was fascinated by the fabrics and the tailoring and the stories behind the outfits.

She was an exceptionally classy Princess!!!

Needled Mom said...

It sounds like a great exhibit. I, too, got up early and watched the wedding. I even recorded it on a VCR tape!!!!

Marsha B said...

That sounds like a lovely day to spend with your daughter! If the exhibit ever gets close, I will remember you recommended it. We were in San Diego in April and just happened to see the Titanic exhibit. It is also a very interesting one if you get the chance to see it.

Beth said...

Sounds like a great time. I would love to see that exhibit. Maybe it will come here one day.
Hope you get to stitch this week.

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

I got up to watch her wedding, too. I miss her to this day....

Nanette Merrill said...

What a great time to go see that exhibit with all the celebrations going on in London, though vastly different. I feel like you do. She had a troubled life and I just feel badly for her sons. She would be proud of them. I just rewatched the movie "the Queen". What an awful time and the movie doesn't make the queen look too great, but reading the biography of the queen added another dimension to that horrible time. Very sad. Glad you blogged this.

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018