Monday, October 17

What's on the line?

Early in September, I took a few of the older quilts that my mother and dad bought at auction and took photos for days when it was too cold or windy to actually hang something on the line. That was the case this past weekend here in Minnesota. It was very windy, so here is one of those quilts taken on a lovely early fall day..........
I find this one very peaceful. Makes me think of looking up into the sky on a night when there are no clouds and only soft stars light the sky. The quilt is a bit worn and stained but still soft and so comfy. The hand-quilting is very nice...........
In addition to wind this past weekend, it finally became necessary to turn on the heat. And yes, I added a quilt to the bed, too. :-) I am pretty sure that summer is gone and I am going to pretend that I did not hear our local weatherman utter the words......possible snow flurry!
And so, the autumn leaves have blown off of many of the trees here in the Minnesota River Valley but I have a few pictures I took that I had never shared. This photo below is Main Street of Henderson, MN looking east. It was was taken on October 3rd. The Minnesota River is at the east end of Main Street.  Notice that pretty red bush in the lower right corner.........
This photo below is looking west and when I take the photos of Henderson's Main Street, I am standing next to that flagpole looking east.
Many of the buildings on Main Street are on the National Historic Register. Henderson is a lovely town, well-cared for by it's residents.
 I've shared this before but I love this big tree that sits next to City Hall........
This line of trees is along the ridge at the back of our house. I took this photo from "down below the ridge".
More trees along the ridgeline...........
And this is the view from our deck..............
The photo above was taken on October 3rd and just three days later on October 6th, I took the one below. The colors change so fast!
That same day, I took one last photo of Henderson's Main Street. Remember that pretty red bush in the first fall photo in this post? Notice that the pretty red leaves are almost all gone now.
And after the wind of the past few days, many of the trees in our backyard have almost no leaves on their branches! The nice thing about that wind, though, is that it blew the leaves off the trees and down into the woods!  I do hope it's a few weeks before we actually get any snow. After all, Halloween is coming up and who wants to Trick or Treat in a snowsuit?!

Tomorrow is my day to share my block in Michele's Quilting*Gallery "Christmas Quilt-a-long" so be sure to stop by and see what my design will be. It gave me JOY to make it and I hope you will enjoy adding it to your quilt if you are making the blocks in the "Quilt-a-long"!  
Have a great Monday!
Sandi

10 comments:

Donna said...

What wonderful fall color! I've missed the display since moving to Florida.

Pat said...

Love your photos out and about your area. Oh...love the quilt on the line, too.

Denise :) said...

You know, I think I need a line to hang quilts from! LOL! Enjoyed all your beautiful photos -- your fall colors are magnificent! :)

Gale, Ky quilter said...

This quilt is beautiful! I love hand quilting and piecing. Love the photos of your town and the view from your deck. Aren't we lucky to live in such a beautiful, diverse country? The trees are still fairly green in Kentucky but we are to be getting a cold front tomorrow with lots of rain and wind so I'm sure before the week ends it will be a different story. Thanks for sharing.

Beth said...

Lovely quilt on the line.
Enjoyed the pictures of the trees. Our trees turned so fast this year and because it was so windy we have lots of naked trees already.
Not excited about winter being so close.

Needled Mom said...

The colors are so beautiful. It is such a glorious time of the year.

The quilt is lovely too. It is a great pattern and it looks like it is soft and cuddly.

Lindah said...

Sandi, you have such a pretty town nestled among the rolling hills beside the river. Even the Main Street traffic lane markings look like the quilting along a border or sashing.

Anonymous said...

Great fall colors! I love that quilt. I get that same calming feeling from it.

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

The quilt is fabulous! One of my favorite blocks... I wonder how my NYC neighbors would mind If I hung my quilts out side my windows.... LOL!

(I won't mention NYC BLACK DUST)

Snoodles said...

Catching up on my blogging; I had to attend a business conference, and that made me miss "on the line" on Monday! (Frown) Glad I scrolled down...love the stars, and the handquilting.

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018