Thursday, October 20

Pretty Plaid Baskets!

When I went to Iowa a few weeks ago, I took along a couple projects. I always travel with at least two or three hand-stitching projects because it really helps pass the time when waiting in doctor's offices or just while chatting or watching TV.  Pat*Sloan shared a pattern for her Baby*Baskets, and I thought it was just so cute. I could see those baskets in plaids and that's what I did....................

The background fabric is a hopsack linen that I bought at JoAnn Fabrics. It caught my eye because the color is darker than many linens and is interestingly called "Tobacco". Anywhooo....... I liked it and I knew I had this black fabric with baskets on it and I don't recall when or where I bought it but the time has come to use it! All the plaids are from my stash and I used Heat 'n Bond Lite to fuse them to the linen. I took along black Perle cotton #8 and blanket stitched around all the baskets, plus two extras that I cut out and fused just before I left. I have a total of fourteen finished baskets.  Pat made her quilt with nine baskets. I like twelve but I also could see sixteen because a larger quilt would look better on the wall where I plan to hang the quilt. I'm giving myself until this Sunday to make up my mind on the final number. Then I'm sewing it all together and have every good intention of finishing it by the end of October!  Family is coming to visit at Thanksgiving and there is nothing like a holiday gathering or a graduation or whatever that will get one to finish projects!  Does that happen at your house? It sure does at our house. I remember the year our daughter graduated from high school and family was coming for her Open House. My husband decided a week before the big day to rip up the kitchen linoleum and re-do the floor. I could go on ................
And, actually, I was planning to add a few more fall photos that I took while in Iowa but Blogger isn't cooperating with the upload feature. I'll try next post. :-)
Also, thanks to all your comments on my JOY block. I really enjoyed reading them and am so glad you like my block!
Sandi

8 comments:

Needled Mom said...

I love the plaid on the darker fabric. It looks like it was a great take along project too.

Denise :) said...

Your baskets are darling. I like that darker linen. Pretty! :)

krisgray said...

Pretty baskets! The tobacco background is lovely with the plaids.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

I LOVVVEE your "Pretty Plaid Baskets."

Beth said...

I love any quilt with baskets. Not sure why, but I do. Your's is no exception withe the adorable plaid baskets on the tobacco background.
It looks great.

Pat said...

What a great fabric to have in your stash to use with this piece!!! Good idea to do the baskets in plaid, too.

kc said...

What a perfect way to show off that black/basket fabric!

Deadlines always speed things up - when I decided to get married at my future Sis-in-law's house, she was thrilled! Not because that made her the wedding planner (it did), not because that made her the caterer (it did), not because it made her the floral designer (it did), and not because I was marrying her bro....oh no.....because that gave her dear husband 6 days to complete the deck he'd been working on for a year!

You read that right - engaged on Friday night, married the next Saturday morning. Outdoors, on her completed deck, no less. Yup, still married, 22 years & going strong!

Oh, and pressure of incoming family? I met his Dad & Stepmom when they came to our house for Thanksgiving Dinner, after we'd been married a couple of months!

Snoodles said...

Love those baskets. The "tobacco" color is very distinctive. Love it with the plaids!

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018