Friday, July 29

It's time for the great Quilt Minnesota Shop Hop!

Last Friday, I delivered a couple little projects to Janice at Firefly Quilt Shop. She and Cindy were setting up the "Quilt Minnesota" corner of the shop and it was looking very cool!!!! Take a stroll with me and if you like what you see, stop in and check it out. And if you like what you see but live too far away then contact the shop at their website...... www.fireflyquiltshop.com
The fabric this year is just beautiful and perfectly says "Minnesota - Land of 10,000 Lakes!" To see the fabrics in detail, check it out here.

And now to the goodies..........

Doesn't that screen door just say.......cabin at the lake? And while you are there, wouldn't a game of croquet be fun? And so, if you are headed to the lake, you'll need a totebag for shopping.................
and after you've shopped, you might need a place to rest your head. How about using this gorgeous pillow? You can have sweet dreams about all the lakes that are named in the fabric!
And then...........you might want to make this quilt to snuggle under if the nights in the cabin are a little too cool (not likely this summer, though). And to decorate your table, you might add one of the table toppers hanging above the larger quilt...........

The table toppers are the "little projects" that I delivered to Janice. A few weeks ago, she gave me 5" width of fabric cuts of most of the fabric line and let me "have at it" and see what I could design. So, I looked at all the fabrics.......and I thought of the lakes....... and I thought of how the wind ripples the water. And then I thought of  how the windmills in the country blow in the wind and so I chose a pinwheel block that represented that windmill and the wind on the lake.  I made the blue one first, I added the green border around the pinwheel because I thought of the lush grass of summer. Then I added the blue duck border thinking of the blue skies and the ducks, geese, eagles and more that dot the Minnesota summer skies. My favorite block is Hole in the Barn Door (or Churn Dash) so that's why I added those corner triangles. I surrounded the whole thing with the Lake names fabric which I really liked. I have memories of some lake times......The first summer we came to Minnesota, we took a vacation to Rainy Lake (1974). We rented a houseboat with another couple and we were looking forward to a great vacation. Only a few hours after we cruised away from the dock, the plumbing died in the houseboat and gave us an adventure we weren't planning. We've never longed for another houseboat vacation. LOL! Fast forward many years and it was time spent at Cragun's on Gull Lake that was a real vacation and one we hope to do again. :-) That pinecone version one really reminds me of time spent at Cragun's. And yes, Cragun's Lodge is not a cabin in the woods or a tent at a camp ground, but you see I'm not real fond of critters so I much prefer the lodge route when we go north to the lakes. :-)  Here's a bit of a close-up of the tabletoppers.........and kits are available with the pattern so stop in the shop or call for info...........

There's one more large quilt behind the check-out counter and isn't it pretty?.........
The shop hop begins Friday morning, July 29 and ends August 14th. You'll find all the details here.  There they are.........bolts of the fabrics designed by James Meger for Quilting Treasures, just waiting to be cut and bought by all you quilters!
And for me..........well, I won't be shopping at the hop as I'm headed west to Bonny's Quilt Haven for a retreat with friends Laura, Sharon, Stephanie, Sue and Jackie this weekend. I have packed my car full of fabric stuff, my sewing machine and my suitcase. And yes, I will be making a little something that I started earlier this week with the scraps left from the table toppers. Hmmm..........I wonder what it will be?

I'll share photos on Sunday night when I return, along with news of a blogging book tour for Jacquelynne's new book Fruitful*Hands. I'll be featuring a little something "on the line" on Monday that is made with her "Sewing Room Social" line. Be sure to stop by on Monday and see what it is and what other delights the rest of the week may hold!!
I'm looking forward to a relaxing and awesomely fine fabric and friendship weekend. Hope you have one, too!
Sandi

4 comments:

Beth said...

Cute table toppers. I don;t care for the critters up close and in my space either, I would be at the lodge too. LOL
Have a great time on the retreat.

Needled Mom said...

The fabric truly is perfect for the hop! There may even be more than 10,000 lakes this year.

That houseboat vacation did not sound like any fun at all.

Have a great time at retreat.

Anonymous said...

It is good to hear that your life is resuming its usual invigorating pace, so you must be feeling much better.

Cabins and tents are not for me either. I will take a lodge or an RV with its own plumbing and a real bed, not a fold-up-the-table and fold-down-the-benches bed. That was fine when I was younger (much younger), but now my back needs pampering. Also, I do not share space willingly with critters, except for a cat, dog, or tropical fish.

Owl Lady

Anonymous said...

I have always wanted to go on the Minnesota Shop Hops... they look like so much fun! My husband fishes, and he wants to fish there, so I think I could definitely enjoy that trip :o)

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018