Monday, June 13

What's on the line?

I hung this quilt on the line a week ago Sunday when I took the picture of the hexagon quilt that I shared last Monday.  It was such a lovely afternoon, perfect for taking pictures. This is such a sweet little doll quilt...........


I don't have any information on the maker of the quilt. And I don't even remember where I got it. I have this vague recollection that I got it at a thrift shop. This is why one should label quilts because memory does not last!!
Then again..........memories of my high school music teacher, Mrs. Parr will last forever with me. She was THE teacher that was the most influential in my life. I've mentioned her before. She began teaching in the Lehigh Public Schools sometime in the early 1950's. She was my music teacher from kindergarten through the 12th grade. In high school, I took private voice lessons from her. She loved pink and had a pink house with lots of pink furnishings. I'm sure my love of pink has something to do with that. She passed away several years ago, and there was an auction of her things. My mother and dad went to the auction and bought the doll that's in the carriage below. The doll belonged to Mrs. Parr as a child. She's wearing the original pink flannel pajamas made for the doll many years ago. The bib was not with the doll but she looks cute wearing it.
I keep the doll in the carriage, nestled with the little quilt and the pink crocheted afghan. It sits in my pretty pink bedroom that my daughter loves to sleep in when she comes to visit. Ah, memories are a wonderful thing. Now if I could just remember to label my quilts..........the memory of who made them or where they came from will be a lot easier in years to come!


8 comments:

Denise said...

This quilt is very similar to one that I received as a gift for my second son, it was made by the mother of a salesman that I worked with......I should have written more info down at the time! Mine is tied instead of all over quilted and I still have it in my cedar chest for when I have grandchildren.

Miss Hillbilly said...

I am horrible about labeling. I need to do that! The quilt looks adorable snuggled in with the baby doll.

Me and My Stitches said...

I am with you on the memory thing! I just gave a quilt as a wedding gift this weekend and didn't even think about putting a label in it until the day after the wedding!

Ramona said...

What a wonderful story about your teacher and the doll is lovely. The quilt is a perfect match. I will definitely be labeling my quilts from now on.

Needled Mom said...

It is a shame that there is no label, but I am sure they never thought that their work would be collectible back then.

How sweet that you have your teacher's doll. I am sure she brings back fond memories each time you look at her.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I'm bad at labeling my quilts, too. I have my mother's baby doll. I got her a new dress this weekend. Her old dress dies many years ago, and my mother couldn't find a dress she liked. Now the doll is dressed and sitting in her doll chair again. I told my mother, and she is pleased. Memories are great!

Beth said...

I am with you on the memory. I really need to label my quilts too. Cute quilt and adorable doll.

Pat said...

How nice that you got the doll of your favorite teacher. As for labels, I'm not so good at that, either, but I'm trying to improve.

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018