Wednesday, October 27

The Halloween projects continue......

This is not a finished project but it's getting there. Two years ago, I made a set of Nanette's Christmas Cottages in Halloween fabrics. I finally sewed them into a quilt top this past Monday. I laid the quilt top on an orange tablecloth for the photo and it does not look good on the orange. Oh, well, I'm planning to bind the quilt in black and add some embellishments for pizazz.

The tutorial for her block design can be found here . It's a fun and easy project to do. The cottages go together quickly, although "fussy cutting" the scenes for the windows adds a teeny bit of extra time. I changed one little thing in the block....... I put the window in the center of each side of the cottage instead of right next to the door. You'll see what I mean when you check out her tutorial. I made a set of Christmas Cottages for the swap that Nanette coordinated ... go here to see them ... and you will see that they are made as shown in her tutorial. For all the cottages, Christmas and Halloween, I added rick rack or trim along the edges of the roof. It doesn't show up in the photo above. Really need to get a better photo for you all. When the top is finally quilted, I will add tiny pumpkin and spider buttons for door knobs. :-) I'm also planning to add a ghost or two after the machine quilting is done. This is all I'll do on this one for this Halloween season, as I don't plan to do the quilting til I get a new machine. I'm hoping that will be soon. :-)


This next photo is just fabric and I didn't turn it into a quilt but instead I made an apron from this fabric. It's almost all finished except for a bit of hand-stitching. I'll post a photo when it's done and that will be soon.....I want it done in time for me to wear it to cook up some witch's brew this weekend. Ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!
Before I get to any cooking, though, I'm going to stitch up this project that has been in the Halloween fabric pile for a couple years.

There are six preprinted blocks with different scenes and the coordinating border fabric that you see in the background. I'm not sure how I am going to piece this but I'll know by Friday. That's the deadline I set for myself to get this one sewn into a finished quilt top.
I may "scare up" a couple more projects before Halloween arrives on Sunday but once it's over.........the Halloween fabrics go back in the box until next year!
We have had a big wind storm that is still howling outside my sewing room window. This has been some storm that has hit the midwest. We are fortunate that it has just been wind here and no damage. I was happy that I did not have to go anywhere except downtown to the post office. Even walking the dog was interesting as I had to work hard at standing up when we were outside yesterday! Hopefully the winds will be gone by Thursday. Reality has set in ............ summer weather has been fully blown away, and even fall will soon be gone......those winds have been a sharp reminder that winter is just around the corner. That's okay..........got plenty of projects to keep me busy through a long, cold, snowy Minnesota winter! :-)
Have a good day!
Sandi


7 comments:

Pat said...

Your cottage quilt reminds me that I have a cottage-of-the-month project that needs to be made into a top...the cottages are all in a bag waiting for me! Enjoy your remaining Halloween sewing.

Anonymous said...

This is a cute quilt. I have always wanted to make a house quilt.

Crispy said...

Cute projects you got brewing there Sandi LOL.

Did you get the snow with your wind? We sure did....

Crispy

Needled Mom said...

Those are great cottages. Fussy cutting can be a real pain but it always looks so great.

I can't wait to see the apron with those fun blocks.

Micki said...

The cottage quilt is just so pretty. Great job on the Halloween projects!
Micki

Beth said...

Such cute halloween houses!! Would like to see it all finished with the embellishments.
Remember now, don't drink too much witches brew and then fly LOL.
Happy Halloween

Nanette Merrill said...

The cottages are so super cute. I'm always happy to see one of my designs. You know how that feels. It feels good. Thanks again. Sweet stuff here.

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018