Thursday, May 14

You CAN go home again.........

Yes, you can go home again. It's never quite the same as when you were growing up, but if the people you knew and loved are still there, well, you can go home. I may live in Minnesota but Iowa is my home state, Lehigh was my home town, and when I found the little town of Henderson, it reminded me of my home town. I like small towns. Like the people, the conversation, the farmhouses, tractors in the field, the whole deal. And so going home to do a quilt program for the Lehigh Women's Club was like going home for me. There are still women in the group who remember my Grandma Golda quite well. She was active in the Women's Club as well as playing the piano at church every Sunday for 50 years! I don't get nervous when I do a quilt prgram there because they all know me and most of my family. And I still have family in town.......like my cousin, Patty, in the photo below. Before the Women's Club meeting started she brought out a couple of recent quilts that she had made and she really wanted me to see this one.

Patty helped me with the quilt show in the Lehigh Library last summer so to thank her, I sent her a pack of Christmas fabrics (go here and you can see them) and this is the quilt she made with those fabrics and others from her stash. Nice, huh?

The women gathered for the meeting...........

and President Jane took care of business and then I began sharing my quilts, stories, poems and songs. I'm working it all into a program that I can take to women's groups, especially church groups as the old quilts and the old hymns that I sing acapella, go "hand-in-hand". I love to tell the story of how my grandma played piano so my sister Judy and I could sing at church or for baby showers, etc. And I always share how fortunate I was to have the same music teacher from kindergarten through the twelfth grade. Her name was Mrs. Parr and she was a wonderful music and voice teacher. Maybe one day, I'll figure out how to do a video and can share a song or two and read a poem here on my blog.
I brought lots of quilts to share and my mother came along, as did my niece, Sue Ellen and mom, Sandy (yes, my sister-in-laws name is Sandy, so it does get confusing sometimes). Here's Sue Ellen sharing a quilt that Grandma Mary gave her. My mom picked it up at an auction for $1.00 and Sue Ellen loved it.
When the program was over I encouraged all the ladies to get a closer look at the quilts that I brought.
That's my cousin, Sharon, in the photo above as she studies the "puzzle quilt" as I call it. Everyone is always intrigued when they learn how the quilt is made. I took some pictures of the steps to make the quilt and I will try to get a tutorial up later in June.

Sue Ellen was a very good helper and you can see her placing my various penny rugs on the table for everyone to see. Cousin Patty is laughing because she has just said that with her Irish heritage she is going to run off with the Shamrock penny rug. LOL!
Following the meeting there was time for visiting and a bit of a snack. I really enjoyed doing the program and everyone enjoyed seeing the quilts. One member said she wasn't really a quilter but she "sure enjoyed hearing me sing the old hymns". Now that would make my dad and my grandma really happy.
I have more to share about the Iowa trip and other stuff from the past week but that's it for tonight.....except for these last two photos.......
I shared this quilt at the program and it was made by my mother in 1970 when our daughter was born. I took this photo outside one day last week and it's not really very good but it's the best I could do. My mom loves to embroider and she made the blocks then hand-quilted the crib quilt and sent it off to us in Japan where we were stationed when Steve was in the Air Force. During the time we were there, she sent me a good sized box full of all her embroidery patterns which I traced and then mailed back to her. I still have all the ones that I traced! I am amazed that they survived the trip through the mail. As much as I love fabric and do enjoy quilting, I really love to embroider and do handwork. My mom is the same way.

I also took a photo of the "Puzzle Quilt" and it looked lovely blowing in the wind. This is one that my dad bought at auction in about 1999 and then my folks gave it to me for Christmas. It was bought at auction in Dayton, Iowa, and is a youth size quilt. My dad just loved this quilt and I realized this past year that perhaps it reminded him of his mother because in my Grandma's things, there were just a couple of quilts that she had made and one of them is a large version of this quilt!!
Time to turn out the lights!
Sandi

9 comments:

Pat said...

I enjoyed reading about your program for the gals in your hometown. It's nice that your niece was so excited about helping you. The quilts you showed here are very nice and I know that is a small fraction of what you showed to those lucky ladies. I do hope you figure out how to do a video and can post one for us of you singing sometime. (Get your son to help you next time he is visiting!)

Pat said...

Oh...yes...your cousin did a great job with the Christmas fabrics you sent her. (Of course, it looks like she made the quilt for the "BOYS" since she was standing in front of the Men's bathroom for the photo!!! LOL....I'm laughing as I am one who rarely thinks about the BACKGROUND when I take photos and a professional nature photographer I've come to know here has had some laughs at some photos for that very reason.)

pdudgeon said...

what a nice trip home you had!
it's good that your niece was so helpful and liked the quilts and penny rugs too. LOL with you at the story of the Shamrock penny rug!

Kaye said...

Sandi, It seems there is no end to your talent, all your wonderful hand work and you sing too! Enjoyed reading about your trip home

Needled Mom said...

It reads as though one can definitely go home again...and thoroughly enjoy it.

I loved all the quilts that you have shared today. When our first son was born I had made a yellow quilt with embroidered squares too. Your mom's reminded me of mine. At that time no one had ever heard of machine quilting... ;)

Micki said...

I loved reading about your trip home. I live in Ireland now after marrying my husband Joe, but PA will always be home too, so I do understand.
Micki

xashee's corner said...

oh my goodness how WONDERFUL that they all remember you and know your family! How COOL that your mom got that one quilt for just a DOLLAR!! WOW!
i absolutely ADORE alllll the quilts you share! i am not quite that talented and have YET to complete one quilt but i LOVE them!!! :) Thank you for sharing! Have a TERRIFIC day! :)

Wendy said...

Love hearing about your hometown and all you do to share your talents with so many women. Wish I was there! Would love to spend a day in your sewing room.....

Crispy said...

How fun to do a program in your home town. I'm envious of your ability to sing....my son would say "No sing-a-me momma" when he was a little guy LOL. I love to sing and will bellow out along with the radio...as long as the windows are closed LOL.

Crispy

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018