Tuesday, May 19

A visit to the Gingerbread House and more........

Yes, it was more than a couple of weeks ago that I was home for a visit with my mom in Iowa and I am still posting pictures of the three days I spent there. The day after I presented the quilt program to the Women's Club, my mom and I went shopping. We headed to Webster City and she took me along a "back-roads route" that she had found that has less traffic. Nice thing was the it was also very scenic! We went to Hy-Vee for a good lunch at the deli and then some groceries and a stop at the Dollar Store and around the corner to the Gingerbread House!!!

You'll find the shop at 309 Bank St. in Webster City, Iowa and it's open Mon-Fri from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and Sat. 9:30 to 2:00 p.m. There are even Gingerbread men waving at you and saying "yes, you can buy all the fabric you like!" :-)
This is such a cute shop, that is chock full of fabrics and bears and all sorts of good gifty items.
I was short on time, so did a quick "look see" and found the cutest little farm boy and tractor fabric and got a fat quarter of each - one for me and one for my mom who was waiting in the car because she was a bit tired.
I've been to the Gingerbread Shop a few times and have bears to prove it, plus some fabric. One fabric I purchased was the "challenge" fabric for our Prior Lake Quilter's group. Each member received a fat quarter of fabric that was chosen by the leader of the group each year (I was the leader at the time) and then the challenge was to make a project that incorporated that fabric. I chose the geranium print fabric that you see in the picture frame below. Edit: Leaders didn't have to cover the cost of the fabric that guild members received. Our dues covered the cost of the fabric and the leader of the group each year got to go out and select a fabric that she felt would be a good challenge in a quilt project. I love to share my fabric but that would be costly to cover fat quarters for the entire group! Sorry if I mislead anyone!

If I remember correctly, I bought almost the whole bolt in order to get enough for the group. I loved this fabric the minute I saw it as it reminded me of my Grandma and the white umbrella like plant holder that sat in the front yard of her farmhouse. Sometime, I will remove the glass and take a close-up of the piece as it's fairly detailed. I fused a section of the fabric to interfacing and then individually cut all the little flowers and leaves to put in the geranium pot. I found the frame at a garage sale for a couple bucks and it was the perfect frame for the little quilt.
Because I am so behind in sharing pictures, I will be jumping all over the place for the next couple of weeks. Here's one, I wanted to show you because I think it would make a great quilt shop. It's "FOR SALE" and it's located in the little town of Vernon Center, MN just off Hwy. 169.

I was telling my son, Devlin, about it because he said he would love to turn an old church into a house. I told him I had the perfect place for him. Unfortunately this would be a long commute to the Twin Cities and his job. Speaking of Devlin, here he is along with his girlfriend, Stacia.

I took this one this past Saturday afternoon when it was a lovely, sunny day but actually a little chilly which explains why they are wearing coats. I was going to give you a sneak peek of the project that we are working on together, but too much of what we are doing shows up in my photos, so I will wait to share those til June.
One last thing for tonight............We're having a "sock swap" on my Wooly Buddies Yahoo group and it all started when someone mentioned colored socks and I posted that I was one who only ever wore white socks. Within minutes, my buddies said that I had to get some colored socks and before you knew it, talk of a "sock swap" began and so socks are crossing the country in our first "sock swap". My moderator for the group, Pat, took pity on me and sent me these cute and comfy socks................

and then, Anett, who is coordinating the swap, sent me these "Quilty Girl" socks and that oh, so awesome bag that she made for me. Yep, just for me!! Don't you love the bumper sticker?

I found some fun socks for my partner at Michael's, of all places. I was looking for totebags and literally "stumbled" upon the cute socks that I ended up buying. I can't show you a picture til I know my partner, Kathy, has received them. Hope she likes them. My package from her is crossing mine in the mail. We were partners in the Egg Swap and by pure chance ended up being partners in this one. Who knew that nearing 60 could be so much fun?
One more last thing............remember the bug bites that bugged me? Well, I went for my yearly physical today and my doctor confirmed they were sand fleas or "Noseeums". Connie, my PostLady mentioned to me last Friday that they might be the bug I encountered. I just know I don't want to encounter them again. I don't like a bug that I "no - see -um" and that bites me and I don't know it til the itching starts!! So, time to turn out the lights and hope those bedbugs don't bite!
Sandi

13 comments:

Cathy said...

I have been to the Ginger Bread shop. It's so cute and I loved the upstairs with the Christmas stuff. Did you go up there? Is it still Christmas things?

I found a few "Bareroots" patterns there at that shop. I love these patterns and collect them it seams. LOL

Cathy

Pat said...

I always enjoy your posts that are "all over the place".....lots of fun information and great photos, too. LOVE the saying on the bumper sticker. The frame for your geranium challenge piece is perfect....with all that "lattice" around the edges!!!

Anonymous said...

Love those socks! Looks like a great quilt shop too.

Crispy said...

What a fun posting Sandi, I really enjoyed reading it. I love the sock swap idea....you ladies are so silly LOL. That church would make a wonderful home after LOTS of work, it's always sad to see a church in such sorry shape.

Crispy PS - You have one handsome son there Sandi!!

Bjwalsh101 said...

I just found your site today and was skimming through your blog when I saw the photo of the church.
I went back and read the blog and confirmed what I was seeing. I grew up south of Vernon Center and drive by the church when I go home to visit my parents. I thought how strange...then I looked at your site some more and relaized you are from MN. Not so strange anymore. Everyone should wear fun socks once in a while!

julieQ said...

Sounds like a fun trip, I would like to go too! How nice of you to buy fabric gifts for your group previously. I love good garage sale finds.

Latane Barton said...

The gingerbread shop is my kind of shop.

Micki said...

The gingerbread shop looked like it was such fun! I loved all of the pics!
Micki

Samantha said...

You are right- that building would make a great quilt shop- maybe you should buy it, Sandi- I know you have a lot of free time on your hands! LOL!

Nanette Merrill said...

Wow, yet again. Your post has so much in it! The pictures of old buildings are wonderful. The gingerbread house is cute. Fun stuff.

Ida13 said...

I got the book and fabrics and the patterns. I'm so-so-so-so glad!!!!
Everybody can see the pictures at my blog (www.branida.blogspot.com)You made me a good day/week!!Thans!!!

Nihal said...

Hi Sandi,
I couldn't resist but had to say. Yes, I'd like to turn an old church into a cheerful house. It's been ever my dream! So hope Devlin may find a fortune to make true his intention.
Do you have any info how old it is? I loved this old church, thanks for the photo:)

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Oh what fun! I love the "quilting girl" ones.....what great idea.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Hugs,
Spencer

"Peace can be found in the piecing of a quilt."
©SEA 2001-2018